Calvert County Public Schools is excited to offer a Virtual Academy Program during the 2022–2023 school year for students in grades three through eight. This Virtual Academy option is available to students who reside with their parent or guardian in Calvert County, Maryland.
The CCPS Virtual Academy will provide learners a rigorous, technology-based learning community that supports the knowledge, skills, and characteristics necessary for college and career readiness within an ever-changing world.
The CCPS Virtual Academy will:
- Provide students with the opportunity to learn in a modern virtual environment
- Offer both synchronous and asynchronous opportunities for students to learn within a flexible learning environment
- Employ innovative, collaborative, state-of-the-art instructional practices and learning technologies that meet the evolving needs of each student
- Build students’ interpersonal and intrapersonal skills that promote success
- Provide interactive and rigorous standards-based courses that are engaging for learners
- Meet the diverse educational needs of a variety of learners
- Build and grow a partnership between families and the school community
- Provide enrichment/enhancement opportunities for all learners
- Provide a range of services and activities that help our students feel connected to our school and each other
- Students enrolled in the virtual academy are considered full-time virtual students and are making a year-long commitment for enrollment.
- Students must be fully enrolled at the Virtual Academy.
- Students will not be able to take courses that are not offered at the Virtual Academy at their zoned school building.
- Students will be required to go to a CCPS building to take state or district-wide assessments. Transportation may not be provided.
- Throughout the school year, learning materials will need to be picked up from the student’s zoned school.
The CCPS Virtual Academy is open to all students, including students with disabilities who are receiving services through an Individual Education Program (IEP). To the maximum extent appropriate, students with disabilities are educated inside the general education environment. Special classes, separate schooling, or other removals of students with disabilities from the general educational environment occurs only when the nature or severity of the student's disability is such that education in the general education setting with the use of supplementary aids and services cannot be achieved satisfactorily.
Students in grades three through twelve will be issued a CCPS laptop with the capabilities to sustain online learning. Technology support and troubleshooting resources will be available through Help Desk. Parents will be responsible for ensuring that the student has access to reliable, consistent internet.
Clubs and Afterschool Activities
Students attending the Virtual Academy will have the opportunity to participate in clubs during the day and limited after-school activities.
Attendance will be taken during every class. Students must attend synchronous class sessions. Students are required to have cameras and participate during class instruction. Students who are tardy or leave synchronous classes early will not be counted present for the entire class.
The Virtual Academy application process is open to all students enrolled in Calvert County Public Schools. Students who live with their parent or guardian in Calvert County, Maryland but are not currently enrolled in a CCPS school must first enroll at their zoned school of attendance, and once officially enrolled may apply to the CCPS Virtual Academy. Only the parent or guardian may apply.
An application will need to be filled out for each child in the family interested in attending the Virtual Academy. Submission of the application does not mean the student will automatically be enrolled in the Virtual Academy. A lottery will be used when the number of students wanting to enroll exceed the number of seats available at each grade.
The deadline for applications for the Virtual Academy program is April 22, 2022. All applications received after this date will automatically be added to the Virtual Academy waitlist. Applications will not be accepted after 11:59 PM on May 31, 2022. CCPS will not accept paper applications. Families without access to a computer should contact their school counselor for help applying. All applicants who apply before the deadline will be included in the lottery if one is needed. By June 30, students will be notified regarding enrollment.