Tornado Warning Guidelines
This applies to tornado warnings issued within Calvert County, Maryland only. Bus drivers and/or bus assistants travelling out of the county must be aware of adverse weather conditions and take reasonable and appropriate steps to protect themselves and all passengers from tornadoes and other adverse weather conditions. A tornado warning means that a tornado has been sighted. A tornado watch means that current or anticipated conditions may produce a tornado. While administrators and bus personnel may use their professional judgment in times of severe thunderstorms or tornado watches, a tornado warning issued to an area within Calvert County requires a system-wide approach and actions.
- What happens when a tornado warning is issued?
- What should bus drivers do early in the school year to prepare?
- What should bus drivers and bus assistants do when a tornado warning is issued during student pickup times?
- What should bus drivers and bus assistants do when a tornado warning is issued during student dismissal times?
- How will bus drivers, bus assistants, departments, and schools be notified?
- General Information about Tornadoes