Pre-Approved Community Organizations
Current list of pre-approved community organizations with secular activities. (This list can also be obtained in school offices)
A Student Service Learning Activity Verification Form is required to document all Student Service Learning projects.
Organizations Not Pre-Approved
Activities with community organizations not listed on CCPS Pre-Approved Partners require advanced approval from the High School's SSL coordinator or the Elementary School or Middle School Counselor. The student will then be provided the appropriate forms.
How do community organizations get pre-approved for SSL?
Calvert County Public Schools (CCPS) has information on community organizations with activities that are pre-approved for SSL. Representatives from community organizations interested in becoming pre-approved for SSL must contact CCPS at 443-550-8000, attend an orientation, and show proof of tax-exempt status & liability insurance coverage. Community organizations must agree to the overall CCPS SSL guidelines. Community organizations are required to provide yearly updates of information to CCPS.
What are the roles and responsibilities of community organizations that are pre-approved for SSL?
- The community organizations must attend CCPS orientations
- Provide written job descriptions about activities
- Comply with Maryland's Seven Best Practices of Service Learning
- Provide certificate of liability insurance and identify staff responsible for supervising students
- Evaluate student performance
- Increase student awareness of social issues
- Meet recognized community needs
- Develop student responsibility
- Explore career paths with students
- Provide reflection experiences for students
- Maintain accurate records of student service
- Verify student service in a timely manner using the required paperwork provided by CCPS
How are schools and students made aware of approved sites?
Most community organizations and activities are listed as pre-approved and can be found in the Service Learning Partners list or a list of pre-approved nonprofits can be accessed from every school guidance department.