Enrollment Process

New Students

New to Calvert County? New to public school?

Where do I register?

Elementary, Middle or High school: Register at your zoned school. Your zoned school is determined by your home address. Don't know your zoned school? Find out using the Bus Stop & School Locator search database.

To register your child, you will need the following documents:

  • Proof of residency. Any ONE of the following documents:
    • Home ownership papers (deed, mortgage coupon within the last three (3) months with parent's/guardian’s/custodian's name and physical address). Settlement papers may be accepted with the approval of the Pupil Personnel Worker.
    • Incorporated lease (real estate lease).
    • Non-incorporated lease agreement (landlord provides a signed, notarized lease agreement verifying that the parent/guardian/custodian resides at that address) with at least two pieces of supporting documentation. Pupil Personnel Workers may request additional documentation of physical address.


    • The completion of a Multiple Family Disclosure Form in instances where the child and parent reside in the home of another family. These cases require a meeting with a Pupil Personnel Worker for documentation and approval.
    • Only Pupil Personnel Workers may, after an investigation, accept other documents to prove residency.
    • A driver’s license, banking account (checking account) utility bill or other bills are NOT sufficient documentation and will not be accepted as proof of residency.
    • Find out more information on residency requirements.

  • Child’s original birth certificate with official raised seal and/or court custody document with judge's signature. Find out more information on legal custody requirements.

  • Child’s Social Security Card (optional).

  • Child’s immunization records. Maryland immunization requirements.

  • Child’s most recent physical form.

  • Child's latest report card/transcript (if available).

  • Child's Maryland Student Withdrawal/Transfer Record SR7 (if available).

  • Child’s Individualized Education Program (IEP) and/or 504 Accommodation Plan (if applicable and available).

  • Parents must provide a photo ID.

  • Parents are encouraged to provide custody documents.

Will my child be eligible to ride on a school bus or receive other transportation?

School bus service is provided for eligible general education children in kindergarten through 12th grade. Eligibility is determined at the time of registration and is generally based on the distance between the student's home address and school. Please visit the Bus Routes listings or call the Transportation Department at 443-550-8786 for additional information.

Do I need to come with my child to school on the first day?

No, you do not need to accompany your child on the first day of school.

Is my child eligible for public school in Calvert County?

Your child is entitled to attend Calvert County public schools free of charge if he or she:

  • is more than 5 and less than 21 years of age and
  • is a resident of Calvert County and
  • has not received a high school diploma

Kindergarten is mandatory in Calvert County public schools, he or she must turn five years old by September 1st of the year he or she will enroll.

Kindergarten Waiver

As per the Code of Maryland Regulations 13A.08.01.02, all children in the State of Maryland who will be five years old by September 1st of any given school year are required to attend kindergarten.

This state mandate does, however, permit alternatives to attendance at a regular public or private school kindergarten. If you do not wish to have your child attend kindergarten, please complete a Request for Exemption from Kindergarten Attendance (Kindergarten Waiver). Submit the completed request to:

Department of Student Services
Calvert County Public Schools
1305 Dares Beach Road
Prince Frederick, MD 20678

Additional Information

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2020 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.